Lesson 5: Slavery Today
• Examine modern slavery and analyze the circumstances that allow for slavery today.
• Contrast the situation between 17th, 18th & 19th century slavery in the United States and modern day slavery.
• Describe how they are world citizens by detailing the current events of people and cultures from around the world.
• Use multiple processes and diverse perspectives to explore alternative solutions.
• Apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, products, or processes.
• Create original works as a means of personal or group expression.
• Exhibit leadership for digital citizenship.
Students review the website Modern Slavery 101 @ http://www.iabolish.org/modern_slavery101/
Students watch the following videos
Students choose one of the following activities
1. Write your own lyrics to a rap song on the topic, Freedom in the 21st Century. This link provides directions how to write rap lyrics: http://www.wikihow.com/Write-Rap-Lyrics
2. Write a Poem worthy of a Poetry Slam entitled, Freedom in the 21st Century. The following link provides lots of information about poetry writing and poetry slams: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/poetry/index.html
Students’ Freedom in the 21st Century Lyrics are assessed used a rubric found @ http://www.really-fine.com/Poetry-Rubrics.html
Student Evaluation of Lesson
To evaluate instruction, students complete the survey about the traveling on the Slavery Today lesson found at http://www.polldaddy.com/s/4A5700FC3FAF1BB2/